Actually, it's more of a divan than a sofa, and the first time I've built a sofa in all my years of woodworking.
Long ago I had a memorable art teacher in San Antonio and her daughter asked me if I could build a sofa for her new futon mattress. This was to be low budget, but I reckon I had a debt of gratitude and friendliness to take into account so I scoured the shop for parts from old projects, left over materials, and other bits and pieces. The design intent was to be "Moroccan" but it seems to have migrated toward Greece and Rome.
I used coved maple parts left over from a production run of a toy made for Try Out Toys , a left over sheet of purpleheart veneer, escutcheons from antique furniture, Jatoba scraps and so on. As with most one-off work there are a number of things I'd change if i had an opportunity to make another one Anyway, here are the photos:
The CAD drawing:
This is designed to have a lot of storage under the mattress. I'd like to do a legged version and make the ends more like columns rather than a stretched out field of coves. Weird base molding, but it came out nice.
The lathe! I love the lathe, except everything turns out round. You have to warm up to it if you haven't used it in a while. These are end caps for the sofa cylinders, made of Jatoba.
Parts, and a lot of sanding, a lot.
Mara is using shellac as a stain/sealer. Some of the maple went to a dark burnt umber, the only other stain was the amber shellac.
The top coat is shot, now to check for defects and shoot another.
The only color to be left is the sofa covering.
That long maple board between the columns has a giant cove. Originally I was going to apply some left over appliques from the credenza job and some beaded tassles coming out of the jatoba discs, but it was not to be. The actual mattress is about twice the thickness in this photo below.
Oh, and friends, look who gets to lounge on this, my art teachers grandaughter